MILK: THE BREAKDOWN OF SKIM, LOW FAT AND FULL CREAM
AS MY MILK IS SO GOOD FOR YOU, I WILL GIVE SOME
MILK: Skim, low fat and full fat are all processed similarly. The cream is separated from the whey and then added back in – or not in the case of skim milk.
LOW FAT: May contain 1% or 2% fat, while full cream contains 3.25% fat. Cup for cup, whole fat contains fewer carbohydrates than low-fat or skim, because more of the volume is made up of fat. Full cream does not contain lactose. It also has slightly less protein than low fat.
FULL CREAM MILK BENEFITS
There are good reasons to choose full cream, as whole milk fat is required for nutrient absorption and satiety.
Due to the exclusion of milk solids, full fat is lower in lactose and tolerated better in people with a lactose intolerance.
As most people who are lactose intolerant, can still drink half a cup without symptoms.
As a general rule of thumb, if you don’t consume a lot of milk in your diet, full cream is a good option.
THESE ARE WHOLE DAIRY FOODS
THE BENEFITS OF LOW FAT MILK
Lower fat milks are slightly higher in calcium and protein than full cream.
THE DOWN SIDE OF LOW FAT MILK?
You’ll absorb less of the nutrients, without the fat, particularly the fat soluble vitamins such as, vitamins D, A, E.
If you eat fat, it slows down digestion, which gives a lasting feeling of fullness. People who drink low fat will tend to bulk up on other high calorie foods including carbs , and sugar. These can give us a much higher risk of diabetes (not to mention the waistline).
HERE IS A LIST OF TYPES OF MILK AND THEIR PROPERTIES
- WHOLE FAT : is 3.5% fat, which is why it tastes so delicious and has a rich creamy texture
- 2% LOW FAT, has the benefits of less fat, but still tastes great. It is fortified with skim milk and has 10 grams of protein per cup. Two percent, is almost as popular as full cream.
- 1% LOW FAT, is made by reducing the fat content, more than 2%. It is also fortified with skim milk, making it vitamin and mineral rich. This is great for women and girls who want a concentrated source of calcium in a delicious drink.
THIS IS SO GOOD, WE’LL DRINK IT STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE
- SKIM, (also called non fat), has as much fat as possible removed, and has less than 1/2 gram per serving, but 45% less calories than Full Cream. Taking the fat out, makes it tasteless, although still supplies all of the nutrient of whole milk.
- CHOCOLATE, has added cocoa and sweeteners. The chocolate doesn’t add any fat, just calories (about 60) and a little caffeine (about 5 mg per cup, the same amount as a cup of decaf coffee).
DRINK MORE MILK THE RESEARCH ON FULL OR LITE DAIRY
It is well known that not all fats are equal, and certain types of saturated fats, don’t raise cholesterol (as previously thought).
If it comes from dairy, studies are now showing it may have a protective role. Because it does not have a good balance of fat to sugar to protein, Nutrition experts see skim as a less attractive option.
Since lower fat dairy gained in popularity in the 1960’s because of the move against saturated fats. These fats were believed to lead to weight gain and, was tied to heart disease.
It also turns out that saturated fats in dairy, can protect against certain diseases and are not associated with heart disease as previously thought.
I WILL SHARE MY BOTTLE WITH YOU
We now understand, that making recommendations based on a single nutrient is getting us nowhere. We don’t eat nutrients like saturated fat in isolation. It’s the type of food as a whole, and nutrients present within that food that make a difference as to how that food effects health.
if you’re only judging the content of saturated fat, no foods are nutritionally equal.
After you read this post, it is up to you to chose what is right for you.
ALL DAIRY IS HEALTHY IF USED IN MODERATION.